Whittaker & Biggs
The firm was originally established in October 1930 when William James Whittaker opened an office at 21 Kinsey Street, Congleton as Auctioneer, Valuer and Estate Agent. He had previously worked for H Harold Lloyd, the proprietors of Congleton Cattle Market. Mr Whittaker took over the running of the Cattle Market in 1935 when the lease became available. Mr Whittaker, known to his clients and customers as Billy, was very well respected in the farming community and was president of the Cheshire branch of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers in 1946. He was also president of the Congleton Town Football Club, a position from which he resigned in 1947.
He later joined forces with Geoffrey Biggs who was land agent for the Antrobus Estate near Congleton. Geoffrey's son, Roger Biggs also joined the business.
The Cattle Market moved from its town centre site onto the outskirts of the town in 1964 when John Knott was recruited. Over the years Whittaker & Biggs expanded from its original Congleton base to include branches in Leek, Macclesfield, Biddulph and Knutsford.
The Cattle Market closed in 2003 following the effects of BSE to the local dairy farming industry in the late 1990's an outbreak of Foot and Mouth. The firm still maintains strong links with the farming community providing a breadth of agricultural professional services.
The firm is now headed by three partners, Derek Torr, John Robinson, John Wilson and three Associate partners, Nick Clare, Rachel Torr and Peter Kirton-Darling.
With over fifty staff the business can now offer professional advice on pretty much every aspect of property including residential, agricultural, industrial, retail and offices as well as development and planning.