Tate’s mission is to promote knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of art, and our shops support this goal in two important ways: firstly, through the books, prints, and products themselves, many of which are commissioned specially, we aim to both reflect and support the work of Tate. Secondly, the profits that are made by Tate Enterprises are directly covenanted to Tate.
This is important because whilst, as a charity, Tate receives roughly 40% of its annual funding from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, the remaining 60% is raised from other sources- including our trading activities.
Your purchase plays a vital part in enabling Tate to continue its ambitious programme and activities.
Hirst: Spin skateboard triptych
These limited edition skateboards feature one of Damien Hirst's Spin paintings. The triptych is part of the Damien Hirst for Supreme skateboard collection. Hirst created this skateboard design exclusively for the New York based Supreme skate company. Hirst is known for his spin paintings made at random on a spinning circular surface. Damien Hirst is an internationally renowned English artist and has been part of the 'Young British Artists', who have dominated the art scene in UK since the 90s. The Skateroom, who specialise in working with artists and skateboard companies, have provided Tate with the opportunity to sell this artwork.
All boards from The Skateroom are constructed from 7-ply Canadian maple, which has been sourced from sustainable forests. All designs are individually silkscreen printed by hand to ensure the artwork looks as good as possible - the artist's signature is printed on the back and limited edition boards are uniquely numbered. Once ordered, your boards will be delivered in custom protective packaging and include special wall mounts which give the board a floating appearance.
The Skateroom have collaborated with the international charity Skateistan, an international NGO that uses skateboarding as a tool for empowering disadvantaged youth. Proceeds of Skateroom's collaborations go to supporting their work worldwide.