JAGUAR XK120 3.4 PROTOTYPE FIXED HEAD COUPE
This XK120 Fixed Head Coupe is an incredibly important and historic Jaguar being the second prototype Left Hand Drive example produced and the original 1951 Geneva Show car.
When Jaguar stunned the world with its new XK120 in 1948 few would have thought that the elegant styling of the original open two seater, or roadster, could be improved on. That thinking was challenged in 1951 when arguably the most beautiful model of Jaguar ever produced was unveiled, the Fixed Head Coupe. Reminiscent of the Bugatti Atlantic, the new coupe was based on the roadster but incorporated a teardrop shaped roof that successfully joined the front and rear design elements in one sublime flowing body. The coupe retained the chassis and mechanicals of the roadster, with some minor changes to accommodate the new body, and so the new model combined the sporting pedigree of its predecessor with the enhanced looks and luxury of the new design. That the coupe proved to be strong success with the public is underscored by the production numbers with over 2500 examples produced, the majority in LHD.