New Imperial 1933 Model 2 350cc 1 cyl sv 2709
After a rather unsuccessful attempt to enter the motorcycle market under the name " Imperial" in 1901, the company made a serious comeback in 1910 under the name " New Imperial" and managed to stay in business till 1939.
At first only a few models were offered, 293 cc side valve single and 8 hp twins, all with JAP engines.
New Imps got the image of "middle of the road" machines, offering good value for money. In the early twenties the company, based in Hall Green, Birmingham, became more and more active in racing and year by year more models were marketed, to expand the market share in the years in which competition between motorcycle manufacturers was fierce.
Till 1926 JAP proprietary engines were used, after that the firm's own engines were built in.
In 1927 some 19 different models were available. In the early thirties the model range was shrunk: for the 1933 model year the firm listed 8 models, ranging from the 150 cc ohv "Unit Minor" to the 500 cc ohv "Blue Prince".
The Model 2 was also termed "the popular mount" for its all-round characteristics.
The machine has bore x stroke dimensions of 74 x 80 mm, three speed hand change gearbox and a top speed of approx 55 miles per hour.
The fuel consumption is given as a very economical 120 miles per gallon.
This practical vintage mount has spent its whole life in The Netherlands and is an older restoration.